“You can’t always get what you want…so try … to get what you need ‘
When it comes to setting up a software development center, what Mick Jagger and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones wrote in 1969 is quite tellingly applicable to the global hunt for these skilled workers. There were around 5.5 million developers in Europe in 2020, and there was a shortfall of 500,000 according to statistics from the European Commission. But the shortage is more acute now that Europe is emerging from the pandemic. Today, 53% of tech executives surveyed by Infoworld say recruiting developers is one of the most daunting challenges they face. This is why Invest Cyprus asked the Cyprus Mail to create this publication dedicated to thought leadership in our country to find, attract and bring in developers to help build the growing technology hub here. Developer salaries around the world have increased steadily since 2016, with only a short hiatus in 2020 as many projects have been canceled.
In Switzerland, experienced developers earn $ 95,394, Norway $ 64,202 and Denmark $ 72,151 per year, according to Payscale. The average salary for software developers per country in Europe is $ 60,162 for Germany, while in the Netherlands the salary drops to $ 54,025 per year. The average salary for a computer engineer in Sweden, Finland and France ranges from $ 46,000 to $ 54,000 per year. The average salary for a software engineer in UK is $ 42,000 and is the lowest among other countries.
In Cyprus, where there are 2,000 jobs available for developers at almost any time, salaries are around € 6,000 for experienced developers with the most in-demand skills, and sometimes developers with soft skills can win at this level. But a host of perks must be attached to these salaries in order to attract the kind of skilled developers that businesses need here.
Consider that in the United States, the average salary for a top developer is $ 110,000 per year, and the package includes a car, free meals, and many other extras. The generic ad below shows a typical Cyprus offer for a developer. How can Cyprus compete?
Fortunately, Cypriot tech companies are preparing their recruiting strategies, offering more perks and more money to bring developers here. And these companies are refining their recruitment techniques, to reach more developers abroad. In this post, we take a detailed look at these strategies and the thinking behind them. We also show what the life of developers is like in a number of large Cypriot companies. The generic advertisement below is exactly the type of developer that many companies in Cyprus are trying to find. We show how they increase their success rates. Because, “If you try sometimes you might find, you get what you need. “
Full Stack Developer
We are looking for a Full Stack Developer to join our client’s growing team. You will be part of a cross-functional group responsible for the entire software development lifecycle from design to implementation for a variety of customers and industries. Your role within the team will be primarily focused on developing mobile applications in React Native on new and existing projects.
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
- Create, customize and integrate software applications
- Software systems troubleshooting and support
- Configure, monitor and administer software systems
- Develop fast and secure apps from a list of requirements
- Translate UI / UX designs into responsive interfaces
- Develop and use APIs
- Collect and analyze the needs of the company and write the technical documentation if necessary
- Work independently with little supervision
- Spirit of growth and the ability to quickly acquire new programming skills when needed
- View projects throughout the lifecycle
- 1+ year of solid development experience with React Native
- Proven experience as a Full Stack Developer or similar role
- Familiar with Agile and Waterfall methodologies
- 3+ years of experience developing back-end languages with PHP frameworks, preferably Laravel
- More than 2 years of experience in the development of APIs and Restful services
- Demonstrated knowledge of the use of databases
- Familiar with JIRA, Git or similar
- Fluency in English, essential; additional languages a plus
- Lots of remote working flexibility
- Contingency fund
- 22 days of annual leave
- 13th salary
- Breakfast offered and contribution to gym membership