- Engineer is one of the most popular jobs on TikTok, the app that has become a household name last year.
- Insider analyzed public data to see what TikTok and parent company ByteDance are paying engineers.
- The companies offered engineers with US work visas annual base salaries of between $ 120,000 and $ 480,000.
Engineer is one of the most popular jobs at TikTok, the app that last year became a household name in media and tech.
The company, which is owned by ByteDance, currently lists around 3,500 job openings on its job board, and more than 600 of these include “engineer” in the title.
Insider analyzed disclosures released by the U.S. Bureau of Work Abroad Certification on work visas to shed light on what TikTok and parent company ByteDance pay for engineering roles.
Public data reflects how much the company offered to pay the foreign employees it sought to hire in the United States for jobs.
It includes salaries for 386 foreign workforce certification applications submitted by TikTok and ByteDance, and certified between October 1, 2019 and September 30, 2021. Of those applications, 226 were for roles related to engineering.
Salaries in disclosure data are the minimum amounts the company declared in foreign workforce certification applications to pay specific workers, according to documentation from the US Department of Labor. Salaries are based on the average compensation paid to similar employees with comparable qualifications in each job and industry, known as the effective salary.
Companies can choose to pay their employees more than the numbers reflected in this data or to compensate them in additional ways, such as through stock options and grants. TikTok, for example, also offers stock options to some of its US-based employees as another source of compensation.
Based on the data, TikTok and ByteDance offered US work visa staff members in engineering positions annual base salaries ranging from $ 120,000 to $ 480,000.
The positions included:
- Algorithmic engineer: $ 205,200
- Machine Learning Appli Engineer: $ 220,000 median; ranging from $ 135,000 to $ 250,000
- RA software engineer: $ 125,000
- Back-end engineer: $ 162,600 median; ranging from $ 150,000 to $ 256,000
- Back-end software engineer: Median $ 160,000; ranging from $ 130,000 to $ 247,000
- Data engineer: $ 176,000 median; ranging from $ 145,000 to $ 210,000
- SRE data, ad data: Median $ 190,000; ranging from $ 170,000 to $ 210,000
- DevOps Engineer, Technical Platform: $ 160,000
- Frontend Engineer: Median $ 160,000; ranging from $ 140,000 to $ 220,000
- Front-end software engineer: $ 190,000
- Full Stack Engineer, TikTok: $ 244,800
- Infrastructure Engineer: $ 255,500
- Interactive Engineer: $ 185,000 median; ranging from $ 125,000 to $ 235,000
- Machine learning engineer: $ 187,500 median; ranging from $ 120,000 to $ 235,000
- Mobile software engineer, iOS: $ 215,000
- Network engineer: $ 180,000
- Network Software Engineer – SDN: $ 288,000
- Performance and Capacity Engineer: $ 130,000
- Production system engineer: $ 180,000
- Programming language engineer: $ 240,000
- Research engineer: Median $ 150,000; ranging from $ 120,000 to $ 220,000
- Security engineer: $ 168,000
- Senior back-end software engineer: $ 210,000 median; ranging from $ 200,000 to $ 220,000
- Senior Director of Engineering: $ 460,000 median; ranging from $ 440,000 to $ 480,000
- Senior Frontend Engineer: $ 250,000
- Senior interactive engineer: $ 240,000
- Senior Machine Learning Engineer: $ 211,000
- Senior software engineer: Median $ 250,000; ranging from $ 184,080 to $ 270,000
- Site Reliability Engineer: Median $ 190,000; ranging from $ 138,000 to $ 230,000
- Software developers: Median $ 180,000; ranging from $ 120,000 to $ 250,000
- Software development engineer in test: $ 195,000 median; ranging from $ 170,000 to $ 240,000
- Software engineer: Median $ 180,000; ranging from $ 120,000 to $ 280,000
- Software test engineer: $ 135,000
- Solutions Engineer, Announcements: $ 167,500 median; ranging from $ 130,000 to $ 185,000
- System Software Engineer – Machine Learning: $ 210,800
- Technological support engineer: $ 218,360
TikTok did not respond to a request for comment.