A data-driven Python Software Engineer is wanted by a young and dynamic FinTech company to join their remote team. You will help develop and improve its financial calculation engine in Python, exposing more data from calculations to the user interface, with the aim of making calculations more transparent and understandable. You should have 2-5 years of experience building, shipping, maintaining and testing applications and can quickly adapt to new languages and environments, but you are very comfortable with Python and its ecosystem, including numpy and sci-py. You are proficient with SQL and relational databases, you have excellent debugging skills, you swoon over performance and you don’t shy away from complexity.
- Write clean, well-tested, high-performance, and high-quality code in Python in the compute engine.
- Review code in pull requests and test functionality from a user’s perspective, providing feedback and suggestions to help you find the best solution.
- Track features through to production and, together with the team, gather feedback through analysis and occasional user interviews to hear the source.
- Create and maintain technical documentation for important systems.
- Participate in the development of green field data dashboards by understanding and modeling aggregated data points for key metrics.
- Gain product insights across the tech stack and suggest changes they haven’t thought of to improve performance, efficiency, and quality by shaping locations.
- Be a technical mentor for junior developers or interns and a technical needs evangelist for the product team.
- 2-5 years of experience building, shipping, maintaining and testing applications.
- You are an excellent developer able to adapt quickly to new languages and environments, but you are very comfortable with Python and its ecosystem, in particular numpy and sci-py.
- Experiment and find value in writing automated tests and enjoy the confidence that testing brings when publishing and updating existing systems.
- You are familiar with SQL and relational databases. If the database layer turns out to be the cause of a problem, it’s not a black box for you.
- You can find the source of problems in a systematic way using tools like a debugger, and you consider performance when developing features because you believe it’s essential to creating a great user experience.
- You’re not necessarily the “Ops” person where you work, but you certainly understand the infrastructure well enough to help build and maintain scalable solutions. They host on Heroku, so experience is a bonus, but experience with AWS or another popular IaaS/PaaS is fine.
- You write code and documentation that is easy to understand and use for other programmers and your future self.
- You have a solid understanding of algorithms, data structures and optimization techniques. It doesn’t mean that you have to be a computer scientist, but you have to accept difficult problems and use these tools effectively to solve problems.
- You have excellent debugging skills. You know how to find problems and how to design solutions so that problems are discovered in the first place.
- Although you are a data-driven person, you enjoy using design as a valuable communication tool to describe concepts, write documentation, and highlight important aspects of a system.
- Although you may not be a security expert, you know how websites and services can be exploited, you are security conscious when you code and review code, and you protect data and privacy client.
- You care about working with platform users to develop the best solution for them through user testing and feedback cycles and know when to make pragmatic compromises to test an idea in the application.
- You work well asynchronously and communicate clear thought effectively, especially in written form.
Although we would really like to respond to every application, if you are not contacted for this position within 10 working days, please consider your application unsuccessful.
When applying for a job, make sure you meet the minimum job requirements. OnlySouth African citizens will be considered for this role. If you are not at the stated location of any of the jobs, please note your relocation plans in all job applications and correspondence. Please email a word copy of your CV to [Email Address Removed] and mention the reference numbers of the works. We have a job listing on [URL Removed] Datafin IT Recruitment – Jobs in Cape Town.
Find out more/Apply to this position