Senior Software Engineer, Semantic Scholar
Who are you:
You are a hands-on developer who thrives in a fast-paced environment, is self-starter, team player, knows how to get things done while delivering flexible and maintainable code, and isn’t afraid to take on challenges. great challenges and try both UI and algorithmic code. If you’re passionate about quality, improving the customer experience, and designing maintainable and robust systems, we’d love to talk to you!
Your next challenge:
The Semantic Scholar Online Engineering team is looking for an experienced engineer to help us build tools and features that allow more researchers to perform better and faster research. The focus is on front-end experience and research services, but you’ll also have the opportunity to work with scientific researchers to create new cutting-edge research tools that will help millions of researchers in their daily research.
World-class communication, engineering and leadership skills are essential in this role. As a Technical Lead, you will participate in scaling a consumer product, identifying and reducing engineering bottlenecks, driving feature development on key initiatives and establishing best practices. You must be comfortable working closely within a team, building technical buy-in, and balancing effective design reviews with timely delivery.
Participate in the entire software development life cycle; from ideation and design to implementation and testing, deployment and operational support.
Scale our systems profitably and sustainably and drive continuous improvements in reliability and automation.
Generate team impact and velocity through efforts in, but not limited to: software design and feature development, platform and framework development (e.g., experimentation capabilities machine learning), capacity planning, and deployment tooling and infrastructure.
Help define and maintain best practices in how we measure, monitor and respond to system availability, latency and general application health.
Mentor less experienced engineers on the team in technical and soft skills.
What you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related technical field where software development is a key component, or equivalent industry experience.
- 5+ years of experience building high quality software and services
- Experience in algorithm design, data structures, complexity and risk analysis, and software architecture.
- Experience designing, scaling, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience building and developing front-end web applications and designing to create wireframes and mockups for real, interactive functionality.
- Experience building, evaluating, scaling, and operating production machine learning models.
- Experience with AWS cloud development (or similar).
- Increased sense of ownership of the performance and stability of services that bring value to millions of users.
- Ability to think systematically about improving the software development and support process and the skills needed to translate those concerns into results for our users and our team.
- Growth mindset: A desire to expand the definition of the role and find additional ways to make an impact in a small team.
Who we are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and directed by Professor Oren Etzioni. AI2’s core mission is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of every AI2 team member. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is revolutionary, we learn every day. Likewise, with weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal continuing education, AI2 is a place where you’ll have the opportunity to continue to learn alongside your colleagues.
- We Value Diversity – We seek to hire, support and promote people of all genders, ethnicities and experience levels, regardless of age. We especially encourage applications from women, non-binary people, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of all kinds.
- We Value Inclusion – We understand the value that people’s individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we build a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happier and more productive when their work/life balance is optimized.
- While we value powerful search results that advance our mission, we also value family dinners, weekends, and vacations. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we see ourselves as a team, all moving together with a common goal. We are quick to applaud our successes, and even quicker to share and resolve our failures together.
- We’re in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much more. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside the United States.
- We’re friendly – chances are you’ll love each of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender , gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, gender stereotyping, age, protected veteran status, disabled person status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you can contact us at [email protected] or you can call us at 206-548-5600.