Senior Software Development Engineer
Department: The World University Insights Ltd
Location: Red Lion Square, Holborn, London
Reports to: Team Leader – DataPoints
The World University Insights Ltd, publisher of Times Higher Education (THE), is the data provider that underpins academic excellence on every continent of the world. As the company behind the ranking of the world’s most influential universities and with nearly five decades of experience as a source of analysis and insight into higher education, we have unparalleled expertise in trends underlying university performance globally. Our data and benchmarking tools are used by many of the world’s most prestigious universities to help them achieve their strategic goals.
For more information on Times Higher Education, please visit https://www.timeshighereducation.com
THE has a lot of ambition to fulfill its potential, we have grown over the past few years and continue to grow our business, brand, user base and products. We invest heavily in several areas, including technology; and we are creating new technical capabilities within our company that will power our current and future digital products.
It’s the start of an exciting transformation to become the data and insights partner of choice for the world’s leading universities. We now need the support of a talented data engineer to help us take our processes and data infrastructure to the next level.
Working with our pre-existing engineering, product and data science teams, this role will be fundamental in designing and building data pipelines to power our products. Initially, this person will help refine our data ingestion processes as we completely modernize some of our data pipelines; and should have a strong desire to share best practices and knowledge with data and engineering teams, as well as mentor a more junior data engineer.
Additionally, as we seek to improve data governance and processes across all of our products and our data and engineering teams, this role is both practical and strategic.
THE offers a comprehensive benefits package to all of its permanent staff.
We have multiple product-oriented teams (verticals) within Engineering, including Data, Content, Student, Hiring Solutions and Platform Services, working as part of well-trained teams including product managers, quality assurance, UX/design and business analysts. In addition, we have several strategic (horizontal) technology groups that are championed by senior engineers and subject matter experts, enabling them to develop capabilities and drive technology to solve technical challenges across the entire enterprise. ‘business.
This is an exciting time for THE and our software development teams (product, engineering, and delivery) as we build our teams and reshape the way we work together to create a world-leading team.
We are looking for engineers who are passionate about technology, able to give knowledge sharing sessions on various topics, mentor others and who want to promote an inclusive and collaborative culture.
We want our software delivery teams to be excited to come to work and passionate about what we can accomplish as a company and our leadership team is committed to making that a reality.
- Experience working in small cross-functional teams with the ability to undertake development work independently while also working within the team
- Some experience working with product owners/managers to design and develop solutions
- The ability to work closely with other team members
- Understanding of software design and testing methodologies
- Knowledge of Agile development methodologies
- Experience working with common software development tools such as Git and Jira
- A good working knowledge of HTML & CSS
- Experience or knowledge of front-end UI/UX design is desirable
- The ability to create and work with HTTP APIs (GraphQL is desirable)
- Experience working with data storage technologies such as MongoDB, Postgres or other SQL
- Contribute to the success of a small cross-functional product-focused development team
- Develop front-end and back-end functionality
- Work with the Product Manager to deliver best-in-class software solutions
- Develop several applications and APIs, both internal and intended for users
- Write high-quality, well-tested code
- Perform functional and non-functional tests
- Troubleshoot and debug applications
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- You are a highly experienced software engineer with extensive experience in web technologies
- You thrive in a cross-functional environment and are eager to learn new things.
- You can happily work on code on both the client and the server, although you may have a preference between the two.
- You actively ask questions and are open to advice
- You aspire to build amazing things
The World University Insights Ltd relies on the flexibility of its staff to ensure continued high standards and performance, as such this job description is only intended to be a guide to the tasks most regularly performed, it does not not part of the employment contract and is subject to change and modification as needed.