Remitly is on a mission to transform the lives of immigrants and their families by providing the most trusted financial products and services on the planet. Since 2011, we have consistently delivered on our promises to immigrants who send their hard-earned money home. Today, we are incredibly proud to have served millions of customers around the world with Remitly and our new Passbook app to provide immigrants with access to banking services. We strive daily to deliver on our promise to our customers by building peace of mind into everything we do. Join over 2,200 employees across 8 offices who grow their careers while positively impacting people around the world.
The Passbook team is a startup within Remitly. We’re building a new mobile-focused digital bank for immigrants and their families, which was named one of Time’s Top 100 Inventions of 2020. Our team is intensely customer-focused and attracts talent from top local startups and other high-growth names like Facebook, Uber and Redfin. These are all the best parts of a startup business accelerated by Remitly’s assets and competitive advantage.
About the role:
As a Principal Engineer, you will report directly to Passbook’s Head of Engineering and be part of the Engineering Leadership Team. You will contribute to engineering strategy, recruitment, culture, processes and projects across Passbook and Remitly. This role is perfect for someone looking to have broad impact, deep ownership and wide operational latitude.
You will be:
- Provide technical leadership: use your depth and breadth of experience to lead complex, long-term, cross-team engineering efforts. You will be intimately involved in creating and evolving a compelling technical strategy for Passbook engineering in collaboration with other functional and engineering leaders.
- Identify opportunities for improvement: identify, articulate and help prioritize technical, operational, product and organizational issues that impact Passbook’s engineering team’s ability to be a high performing technology organization.
- Solve general problems: Lead and participate in the creation and implementation of solutions to problems faced by the engineering team. You will deploy your expertise in technical writing, distributed systems architecture, coding, operational excellence, and software development process to achieve incredible things for the team.
- Be a cultural leader: be a role model in upholding Remitly’s cultural values and use them as a framework to mentor and coach other engineers in the company to achieve their full potential. You will be deeply involved in building and hiring a high engineering talent bar for the team.
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field or equivalent experience.
- Expertise in one or more general purpose programming languages such as Java, C++, C#, Go, Python or Ruby.
- 8+ years of overall software development experience, including leading the development of reliable, available and scalable distributed systems (preferably using a Microservices architecture).
- Experience as a technical leader on complex engineering projects with multiple engineers and working in partnership with one or more partners such as product managers, designers or data scientists.
- Experience driving and building long-term technical strategy across multiple engineering teams.
- Experience mentoring engineers up to senior levels.
- Experience with technical interview candidates for all levels up to Senior.
- Unlimited paid leave
- Medical, dental and vision benefits + 401k plan with company match
- Company contributions to your HSA or FSA plan, if you choose one
- Benefits for Continuing Education and Corridor Travel
Remitly is an equal opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity has been and will continue to be a fundamental principle at Remitly. We are committed to non-discrimination throughout our global organization and in all of our business operations. Employment is determined on the basis of personal abilities and qualifications without discrimination based on race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identification and expression, marital status, military status or honorably discharged veteran status, pregnancy (including a woman’s potential for pregnancy, pregnancy-related conditions, and childbearing), sexual orientation, age (40 years and over), national origin, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, physical, mental, or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal), HIV/AIDS or hepatitis C status, genetic information, status as an actual or suspected victim of violence domestic violence, sexual assault or harassment, or any other protected category established by law.
Remitly is an E-Verify Employer
Remitly is a leading provider of digital financial services for immigrants and their families in over 170 countries around the world. Remitly helps immigrants send money home safely, reliably and seamlessly. Its digital native cross-border remittance application eliminates the long wait times, complexities and fees typical of traditional remittance processes. Building on its strong foundation, Remitly is expanding its product line to further its mission of transforming financial services for immigrants around the world. Founded in 2011, Remitly is headquartered in Seattle and has seven offices around the world, including London, Cork, Singapore, Manila and Managua.