At Sprout Social, we build software that’s built to last. Our more than 25,000 customers rely on us daily to connect them reliably with their customers, so scalability and performance are a priority. Sprout Social is used by companies like the Chicago Bulls, Sony Electronics, Indiana University, Make-a-Wish Foundation, Edelman, and Subaru who rely on Sprout to build stronger relationships with their customers through social media.
Code quality is a key ingredient in keeping our platform flexible and responding quickly to changes in the market and social media networks. Our systems run at scale while remaining agile enough to keep up with the new features offered by social media APIs. Our team uses a variety of technologies including Java, Python, MySQL, Cassandra, Hadoop, Elasticsearch, NSQ, Docker, and Kubernetes.
We don’t operate like lone wolves or â10x developersâ. Instead, we build diverse, collaborative teams that achieve the best results in a sustainable manner. Integrated as a member of one of our cross-functional engineering teams, you will be part of the Agile development environment on a daily basis. Back-end developers work in tandem with web developers, quality assurance, design and management to drive our product initiatives to positive results.
We are looking for a creative, collaborative, highly motivated and curious learner to build great software with us. If you write web applications with confidence in Java and Python and are passionate about learning, we would love to chat with you!
Here are the minimum qualifications that our recruitment team is looking for for this position:
- 1+ years of experience developing and supporting software in a production environment
Additionally, here are the preferred qualifications that would indicate a particularly strong candidate:
- At least 2 years of programming experience in object oriented languages ââsuch as Java, C #, Python or C ++
- Over a year of experience developing and supporting distributed and scalable backend services
- 1+ years of experience working with databases
Within one month, you:
- Complete the Sprout New Employee Training Program alongside other new Sprout team members.
- Deploy and make changes to our production systems.
- Interact with SQL or NoSQL datastores and NSQ mail queues.
- Collaborate regularly with product managers, QA engineers and other product teams to deliver value to our users.
- Get regular team feedback on your work through code reviews and association.
- Connect to our remote Linux servers and monitor the status of our services.
Within 3 months you will:
- Work with your team to create and prioritize quarterly team goals.
- Contribute to our Agile culture of continuous improvement through retrospective meetings and reflection oriented towards experimentation.
- Connect with members of other teams during guild meetings and chapter outings.
- Participate in engineering design meetings with your teammates to learn about new feature ideas and system improvements.
- Work with Product Managers, UX Developers, and Front-End Engineers to find MVPs for new features.
- Be the first line of defense against product failures and bugs during your help desk.
- Maintain, evolve and develop systems that manage hundreds of thousands of messages per day.
Within 6 months, you:
- Create, deploy, and manage concurrent distributed systems.
- Develop your engineering skills by attending in-house presentations, workshops and training sessions.
- Form a career growth plan with your manager and work on it.
- Break the job down into small units of similar size so that estimation is not necessary.
- Identify technical debt and bottlenecks within our systems, develop a plan to improve the code and bring it to production.
Within 12 months, you:
- Integrate and use monitoring and alerting tools to know issues before our users.
- Participate in architecture discussions with senior team members.
- Being the âgo-to personâ on a project, including writing design documents, coordinating dependencies and acting as a domain owner.
- Actively mitigate the risk of delivery failure and missed deadlines through courageous and transparent communication with colleagues and stakeholders throughout the project lifecycle.
- Demonstrate ownership of the code base, from design to maintenance and everything in between.
Of course, what is described above is the ideal schedule, but things can change depending on the needs of the business and other projects and tasks can be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social opens up communication between individuals, brands and communities with elegant and sophisticated software. We are relentless in solving difficult customer problems and we are committed to the success of our customers and our team. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission fosters a culture of openness, empowerment and fun.
We are proud to be regularly recognized for our team, our products and our culture. Our benefits program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options designed for individuals and families
- Progressive policies to support work / life balance, such as our flexible paid vacation and parental leave program
- High quality and well maintained equipment, your computer will never stop you from doing your best
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both the health and mental well-being of our team
- Continuous education and development opportunities through our [emailÂ protected] program, employee-led diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and mentorship programs for future leaders
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
- Beautiful, practical, state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop and downtown Seattle, for those who prefer an office
Whenever possible, Sprout wants to give our team the flexibility to work in the location that works best for them. For those who prefer an office, this position can be based in our Chicago or Seattle offices. If you prefer to work from home, we can adapt it to many locations in the United States. However, we are not installed in all states, so please check our app’s drop-down list to see if your state is listed.
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of identity– race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including gender identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable dismissal from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, criminal record of arrest or convictions struck out or sealed, or any other protected basis legally recognized under federal, state or local laws. Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in our DCI Report 2020.
If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [emailÂ protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact details. We will do everything possible to ensure that you are prepared to succeed during our interview process while respecting your privacy, including accommodation requests. Please note that only requests for a reasonable accommodation request will be answered from this email address.
For more information on our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Employment Opportunity Poster (2) Affirmative Action Statement from Sprout Social (3) Declaration of salary transparency.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.