Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth building platform designed for the modern age, combining personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing, and digital verification into one super intuitive, automated financial app, and we’re driven by a mission to drive personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter and stronger than those created by our frozen, boring, entrenched and slow competitors in the finance industry. personal.
Our clients have trusted us with over $ 4 billion in assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our state-of-the-art automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new ones. customers every day.
We are looking for passionate people who want to improve themselves and build on what we have created and take responsibility for helping others build something meaningful and sustainable for their future.
We mean it when we say, âM1 is yours to build. ”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love for you to keep reading.
What we are looking for
We are a team of motivated engineers committed to executing a clear and exciting vision. We take an iterative approach, believe in continuous improvement, and embrace first principles thinking. While we value creative dissent in problem solving and shy away from embracing a solution just because âit’s always been done that way,â we also believe in respecting, supporting and enabling the best contributions. of each team member as we can. Everyone plays a vital role in the development of our product and is empowered to make important decisions about functionality, architecture and implementation.
The engineering team is in charge of building, deploying and maintaining the critical systems that power the operation of the entire M1 Finance platform. The systems vary in terms of responsibility and complexity – from connecting and managing accounts to banking and business operations. Overall, we adopt a microservices architecture and rely heavily on the Lightbend stack (Lagom / Play! / Akka / Scala).
We are looking for a passionate person to join our team – someone who realizes the value of code reviews, pair programming and continuous self improvement; is not afraid to venture into undocumented territory; considers that the most interesting problems have not yet been answered; shares our company’s vision, embodies our values ââand also recognizes that software development is more than just a job, it’s a profession.
What you will do
- Collaborate with team members in all functional areas to design and design software solutions to support and improve the M1 product.
- Implement clean, maintainable code that adheres to industry best practices
- Identify and execute opportunities to improve existing systems
- Contribute product ideas to the overall growth of the company
- Evolve alongside a team of exciting and committed engineers who will always help you give your best
Skills / Qualifications
- 2+ years of professional experience in software engineering
- Experience developing not only feature code, but also automated testing
- Proficiency in a JVM language, such as Scala, Kotlin or Java. Some experience in functional programming is a plus
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs
- Some experience with relational databases
- Exposure and knowledge of a formal as well as agile delivery methodology
- Entrepreneurial, motivated, growth oriented
- Excellent communicator and collaborator
- General knowledge of investing and personal finance or desire to learn
M1’s commitment to diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunities employer. We celebrate different experiences and are committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DCI) at all levels of the business. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA + community, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DCI working groups (internal training, recruiting and community involvement), M1 employees and leaders set aside time for the company to tackle DCI projects and achieve goals each quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if those principles speak to you, we would love to talk to you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately focus on delivering immense value to our customers, knowing that if they succeed, the business will too.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our goal is to create long-term value, not to score short-term points. We own everything in our field, including the result and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do important things. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to progress is to take action.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and the benefits of our actions.
- TEAMWORK: By working together we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intentions, trust each other, and seek different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: we are curious people who always want to grow. Growth occurs outside of our comfort zone. We realize our potential through constant and manageable growth.
- Integrity: we do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own them and correct them. We would be proud if our actions were shared with our family, friends and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs and principles that we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited power take-off
- Health, dental, vision, disability and full life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer correspondence
- $ 500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Sleek M1 Booty
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Loop office with games room and gym