At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers probe the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the largest and most complex scientific instruments in the world, they study the basic constituents of matter – fundamental particles that are driven to collide at near the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact and provides insight into the fundamental laws of nature. Learn more at http://home.cern.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN’s mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization.
This is your Quest. Deepen your knowledge and expertise faster than anywhere else on earth. To take part!
Are you a passionate software engineer who likes to take on challenges and develop user-oriented features? Join CERN to work on software developments and data processing techniques for the alignment of current and future particle accelerators and their experimental detectors!
The Geodetic Metrology Group within the Beams Department provides metrology and alignment of components installed in accelerators and experiments throughout the CERN complex, and manages all related geodetic aspects.
The successful candidate will join the software and algorithmic development team within this group. You will help improve data acquisition software which is crucial for highly accurate measurements in tunnels and experimental areas.
You will be in charge of the unification and consolidation of this highly required software before the next long shutdown in 2026 (LS3). You will plan and implement major improvements in terms of stability, design, ergonomics and new features greatly simplifying its use in field conditions. You will have the opportunity to accompany teams of surveyors in underground areas to acquire in-depth knowledge of their working environment and very specific measurement techniques. According to an AGILE development approach, you regularly re-prioritize development tasks with them and organize validations and demos of intermediate software deliveries. You will benefit from a very motivating work environment with regular feedback and many opportunities to share your knowledge within a multidisciplinary, cooperative and friendly team!
- You are a national of a Member State or Associate Member of CERN.
- You have a master’s degree and between 2 and 6 years of experience or a doctorate with up to 3 years of relevant experience in computer science or another related field.
- You must have a working knowledge of English or French.
Skills and/or knowledge:
- Programming languages: Proven experience in object-oriented programming, more specifically in C# and the related .NET framework.
- Comfortable with advanced GIT version control concepts.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills: delivering high quality work on time and meeting expectations.
- Effective team collaboration and technical support to ensure a high-quality, error-free product.
- Very structured working method.
- Goal oriented.
What we offer:
- An employment contract of 24 months in principle, with the possibility of extension up to 36 months;
- On-the-job and formal training at CERN as well as in-house language courses for English and/or French;
- A monthly allowance of between 6050 and 6650 Swiss francs per month (excluding taxes);
- Coverage by the comprehensive CERN health insurance scheme (for yourself, your spouse and your children) and affiliation to the CERN Pension Fund;
- Depending on your personal situation: installation bonus; family, child and infant allowances; payment of travel expenses at the start and end of the contract;
- 30 days of paid vacation per year.
How to register:
You will need the following documents to complete your application:
- a resume ;
- A scanned PDF of your most recent relevant qualification;
- We recommend that you add two recent letters of recommendation, outlining your academic and/or professional achievements. You can upload these letters at the time of application if you have them handy. As soon as you have submitted your application, you will also receive a link to send to your referees to download their letters in complete confidentiality.
The earliest scheduled start date for selected applicants is June 2023.
Ready to participate? So please submit your application. before January 23, 2023 at midnight (00:00 CEST).