We are looking for a Software Engineer anywhere between Engineer II or III (intermediate level) or Senior Software Engineer (high level) levels, passionate about building and leading teams and developing applications that will have a positive impact. and who have experience. Leverage open source tools to design large-scale data processing pipelines in the cloud.
- At Engineer II level, an individual will take on tasks of increasing complexity without sacrificing efficiency or quality, demonstrate an understanding of how their work fits into the whole, demonstrate a growth mindset by being responsive to comments and be able to lead features or projects.
- At Engineer III level, a person will demonstrate expert competence in their main area of expertise; possess large transversal functionalities or entire projects with a minimum of supervision; building relationships and consensus among the various stakeholders; and clearly communicate complex technical concepts to a wide range of audiences.
- At the Senior Software Engineer level, a person will demonstrate the ability to cohesively assemble solutions to ambiguous problems and debug the most complex problems, lead a team and operate at a level that maximizes the efficiency of others. around them, and actively providing support for a variety of different initiatives such as recruiting at hiring events, presenting at sales meetings, and navigating client complexities.
Ideal candidates have experience or interest in leading an engineering team, a solid knowledge of a number of big data technologies and service-based architectures, a working understanding of the geospatial realm, and an interest in work on complex engineering projects.
We are interested in hiring someone located in Metro Philadelphia to work from our office or remotely with the option of working during East Coast office hours. Compensation aligns with the Philadelphia metro area. We are excited about what we do, we are growing and we hope you will join us.
Skills and requirements
Our applications are mostly written in TypeScript and Scala, but from time to time we use many other technologies. Almost all of our work revolves around maps and geospatial data.
You will notice that we are not listing N years of experience or a computer science degree as requirements. Formal credentials like these are invaluable, but we are primarily looking for people who have experience building web applications that have been used in the real world. If you think this description fits you, even if your experience doesn’t quite match the technologies we’ve listed, we encourage you to apply. We do not use automated resume selection technology and our employees review all applications we receive.
A note on hiring during the COVID-19 pandemic
The majority of our colleagues have historically worked in our Philadelphia office, but during the pandemic we have shifted the entire company to remote work. While many of our colleagues continue to work remotely at the moment, the office is now open and we can arrange in-person or remote interviews depending on the health and safety concerns of you and our team. We have made arrangements for remote integration, including shipping the relevant hardware and a laptop to your home. We are fortunate to have invested in meaningful work from home tools and processes over the years and to have been able to continue to provide a safe, flexible and secure working environment for all of our colleagues. We ask for your patience as we also adapt our hiring process and are happy to answer any questions or concerns you have regarding the process.
Office and benefits
Our Philadelphia headquarters are located in a well-lit office on the 5th floor of a converted factory building in the Callowhill neighborhood, within walking distance of downtown, Reading Terminal Market, SEPTA subway and regional rail stations. . For cyclists, we have on-site bicycle parking, showers and lockers. The office itself is laid out as an open plan office with plenty of small rooms for team meetings and focus time. You get your own desk with a high-end Linux workstation or Apple laptop and additional monitors. We have flexible hours to handle personal affairs, and most people work 40 to 45 hours per week on a regular schedule. After the first six months, our staff can also devote up to 10% of their time to an open source, professional development or R&D project. Recent 10% projects include experiments with machine learning, React Native, and various forms of serverless processing with Amazon Lambda.
We offer a salary based on skills and experience. Azavea’s starting salaries for Software Engineer II and III range from $ 80,000 to $ 108,000. If you are hired as a Senior Software Engineer, we expect a salary of between $ 108,000 and $ 120,000. Our benefit package includes:
– Fully subsidized health care, dental care, prescription plan including for spouse / partner and children
– Fully subsidized long-term life and disability insurance, plus voluntary short-term disability insurance
– Medical reimbursement plan to cover what health insurance does not cover
– Retirement plan with corresponding percentage
– Almost 4 weeks of paid vacation plus additional paid sick leave / staff
– Family and medical leave
– Flexible work schedule
– Paid maternity and paternity leave
– Childcare subsidy
– Paid time off for voting and volunteering
– Study assistance plan
– Student loan assistance
– Reimbursement schemes for public transport and cycling
– Monthly guest conferences with company lunches
– 10% of time for research or learning projects
– Incentive bonus plan
– Financial transparency thanks to an open book policy
– Kind, competent and caring colleagues
We welcome qualified candidates from all walks of life and value diversity in our company. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, status veteran, military service, disability unrelated to job requirements, marital status or domestic partner status.