Job title: Software engineer (PHP, Laval)
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne (Hybrid)
Salary: £32,000 – £38,000 per year
Type of employment: Full-time, permanent, hybrid work – flexible by default to support a productive and balanced week.
Proudly based in the North East, we research, design and develop great digital products for some of the UK’s most ambitious technology teams.
We value curiosity, integrity and good open communication, so we seek to work with clients where their team’s values align well with ours, to help us do our best.
- We strive to ship great products, but never at the expense of a healthy balance.
- We like processes and best practices, but ignore the bureaucracy.
- We love good communication, but we can’t be jaded by petty politics.
- We are building a team and a company in which we want to work. Simple, open and flexible.
A genuine product studio is a tough business to be successful…but nothing worth doing is ever easy. We love a challenge and we’ve spent the last 18 years getting pretty damn good.
We have team members working across the UK, with the business operating a flexible hybrid model to support a productive and balanced week.
Although we do not require regular attendance, we anticipate that if you live outside the North East, you will be invited to occasionally visit face-to-face clients or internal activities (and occasional team nights). We will cover travel and accommodation costs.
As a software engineer at Komodo, it’s your responsibility to collaborate with the team, help developers learn new concepts, and help designers understand what’s possible. You will be creative when solving problems and will strive to challenge the obvious answer, asking yourself “Is this the best version of the solution”
We’re looking for someone who wants to make software so good that people want to use it. We believe that to create great products using the latest technology, you need to be someone who wants to keep up to date with tools, technologies, and industry best practices. In addition to self-directed learning, we support by covering the cost of course materials on Udemy, training resources, and a shared literature library.
Working together is better than working alone, which is why we encourage quality peer-to-peer feedback in the design and development team to share knowledge and know-how. Quality control is not only important for a person’s personal brand, but also for our company’s brand, so we encourage public relations to be peer-reviewed.
We believe you end up becoming the average person you spend your time with, so we’ve worked hard to build a team of talented people who leverage each other’s strengths. If this sounds like a team you want to contribute to and thrive on, you will have:
- 2+ years of demonstrable PHP experience.
- A thorough understanding of PHP development on LAMP/LEMP stacks.
- Demonstrable experience with modern Laravel development.
- A deep understanding of responsive design and development.
- Understanding of unit testing PHP applications.
- Demonstrable experience developing WordPress themes, plugins and sites.
Advantages and benefits
Paying people fairly and competitively, providing balanced benefits and an environment where they are valued goes without saying. We do our best to meet these fundamental commitments. If you are part of the team, we provide;
- A salary commensurate with your experience and expertise.
- Hybrid work – flexible by default to support a productive and balanced week.
- £1,500 + 3 days annual professional training budget.
- Portable Mac hardware that can handle multiple Chrome tabs.
- 25 days vacation p/a as standard. (Plus holidays. 33 in total)
- We will assess your needs and help you with any kit that will improve your remote working situation.
- An employee pension plan with People’s Pension to help you prepare for the future.
- A stock option program to build a model of shared success.
- Other advantages.
On site, you can expect to see:
- Snacks and fresh fruit.
- Starbucks surprise coffees, cakes and pastries.
- Unlimited fresh coffee and continental teas if you’re not a fan of Java.
- When it is very hot outside, ice appears.
Please only apply if you have the relevant experience, as successful candidates will be invited for an interview and references will be checked.
Please click on the TO APPLY button to complete the application form via or on the website.