Software engineer position (multi-robot systems)
Title: Special Scientist for Research (Software Engineer)
Number of posts: A 1)
Category: Employment contract
Location: University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (www.kios.ucy.ac.cy) at the University of Cyprus is advertising one (1) Software Engineer position for full-time employment. The successful candidate will analyze, design, implement, maintain and document software solutions, focusing on Multi-robotic systems, as part of SESAME H2020 (Secure and Safe Multi-Robot Systems) KIOS project funded by the European Union.
Who we are:
the KIOS Center of Excellence in Research and Innovation is the largest research center of the University of Cyprus and in 2017 it was transformed into a European Research Center of Excellence through the KIOS CoE Teaming project. Currently, the Center employs over 170 people who are supported by externally funded research and innovation projects. The KIOS CoE operates in a diverse environment as an equal opportunity employer.
What we do :
KIOS offers an inspiring environment to conduct high-level research and innovation in the field of information and communication technologies, with a focus on monitoring, control and security of critical infrastructures. These infrastructures include power and energy systems, water networks, transportation networks, telecommunications networks, and emergency management and response. The Center encourages interdisciplinary interaction and promotes collaboration between industry, universities and research organizations in high-tech fields of global importance.
Why work at KIOS:
You will have the opportunity to work on seminal research and innovation projects, with great impact on the community and the environment, not only locally but also on a global scale.
At KIOS, we strive to create a multicultural, diverse and inclusive workplace and we strongly support the continuous growth and development of staff, both personally and professionally, to achieve your long-term goals. We offer internal and external professional training, covering both technical and soft skills, tailored to your needs and those of the Centre.
The successful candidate will contribute to the software development cycle, such as identification of software system requirements, software system analysis, design and implementation of software programs/systems, maintenance (review, troubleshooting, debugging and upgrading) of existing systems and the development of programs and/or systems. documentation, including description reports, user manuals, administration manuals, flowcharts, layouts and diagrams, related to the EU H2020 project SESAME (Safe and secure multi-robot systems).
SESAME is a Horizon 2020 research project addressing key aspects of multi-robot systems, including emergent behaviors, uncertainties in operating environments, variability in robotic hardware platforms, security threats and security issues.
The KIOS CoE will offer its technical expertise to develop and implement the multi-robotic coordination and data collection system, focusing on collaborative drone systems. Additionally, KIOS together with the Cypriot Civil Protection are responsible for evaluate new technologies related to reliability, safety, security, use of multi-robot systems with drones, for emergency response applicationns. For more information about the SESAME project you can visit www.sesame-project.org
Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate must be trained and working on one or more of the following:
- Develop and implement the multi-robotic coordination and data collection system.
- Develop and design software for autonomous robotic systems.
- Develop and implement scalable AI algorithms through the ROS operating system (e.g. motion planning, decision making, object detection, and coordination of multiple autonomous systems).
- Implement and evaluate algorithms in a simulation environment and perform field tests in the real world.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
- Attention to detail
- A problem solver
- Team spirit
- Be reliable and trustworthy
- Be flexible and eager to learn
- Be able to adapt in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Have good communication, organizational and self-management skills
- Very good knowledge of the English language
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering, Computer Science or other relevant field from an accredited institution.
- Practical attitude.
- Programming expertise with C++ and Python in the Linux environment.
- Expertise in the development and implementation of machine learning/AI and vision algorithms, ideally for autonomous robotic systems, will be considered a plus.
- Expertise with drones, autonomous systems and robotics software (e.g. ROS) will be considered a plus.
Conditions of employment:
The position is on a contractual basis. Initially, a one-year contract will be offered, renewable depending on performance over several years and beyond the scope of the SESAME project. The gross monthly salary depends on the candidate’s qualifications and experience and will be between 1750€-2500€. From this amount, employee contributions to Cypriot government funds will be deducted. 13and the salary bonus is incorporated into the monthly salary. Maternity leave will be granted on the basis of the Social Insurance Laws from 1980 to 2012.
Interested applicants should submit the following online via the link:
- Cover letter explaining the candidate’s interest in pursuing a career at KIOS CoE, as well as date of job availability
- Short summary of previous work experiences, activities and achievements (can be combined with cover letter) (2 pages maximum)
- Copies of transcripts from BSc/MSc or other degrees
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English or Greek
- Identify at least two referees who can provide reference letters.
The University of Cyprus collects and processes your personal data in accordance with the provisions of the General Personal Data Regulation 2016/679 (EU).
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but no later than Monday March 14, 2022, at 5 p.m.. The evaluation of applications will begin immediately. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by the KIOS CoE.
For more information, please contact the KIOS Center of Excellence, by phone at +357 22893460 or by email at [email protected]