PNNL combines deep domain expertise and creative integration of advanced hardware and software to deliver IT solutions that address complex data and analytical challenges. Working in multidisciplinary teams, PNNL connects research and engineering to operations, providing the tools to innovate quickly and get results to the field faster. Our strengths are integrated throughout the data analytics lifecycle, from data acquisition and management to analytics and decision support.
This position will be hosted within the Human-Centered Computing group. The landscape of national interest is constantly changing, offering constant software engineering challenges which, in turn, create an extremely exciting and rewarding work environment. We are looking for candidates who want to contribute to an ever-increasing need to address complex, large-scale analytical challenges, spanning multiple national security domains and missions.
The main role will be to develop new applications for users, but there are opportunities to develop skills that go well beyond front-end development: product design, machine learning, human-computer interaction, augmented intelligence, DevSecOps and more. others. Each mission challenge is different which makes the job very exciting and rewarding.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- React/Redux Expertise
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices and software project lifecycles
- Experience writing unit and integration tests
- Familiarity with Restful API design a plus
- Strong communication skills
- Willingness to work on difficult problems in an ever-changing project landscape
- Willingness to help develop diverse and inclusive software engineering teams
Commonly used technologies:
- Development environment: Combination of cloud and on-premises/local
- Developer Tools – Atlassian Suite, Gitlab, IDE preferred
- Web Frameworks – ReactJS, Vue, Slender
- Service Layer – AppSync/GraphQL, API Gateway
- Data Repositories – RDBMS (PostGres), Document Stores (Elastic/Mongo), Key Value (Redis/DynamoDB)
Examples of projects of national interest:
- Identify illicit smuggling of nuclear materials into the country [Link]
- Develop vast data pipelines to thwart the financing of terrorists, nuclear proliferators, drug cartels and rogue leaders [Link]
- Using remote sensing imagery to identify and monitor the progress of wildfires [Link]
- Analyze the resilience of the electrical network to avoid large-scale outages [Link]
- Modeling climate change and its impacts on civilization [Link]
- Investigate the existence of dark matter to understand the nature of the universe [Link]
- BS/BA with 5 years of experience
- MS/MA with 3 years of experience
- PhD with 1 year of experience
- Active federal Q authorization and ability to maintain such authorization
PNNL is a world-class research institution fueled by a highly skilled and diverse workforce committed to collaboration and work-life balance. Dynamic and adaptable people come to PNNL to work with other like-minded people on high-impact projects and initiatives for the U.S. Department of Energy and many other sponsors. They focus on meaningful work, innovation and results. At PNNL, you will find a positive and dynamic environment and excellent benefits, including retirement, 401(k) matching, tuition reimbursement plans, health insurance, flexible work hours and hybrid work options (telecommuting). You will work as part of a team of experts who, for more than 50 years, have been advancing the frontiers of science and engineering in service to our nation and the world in the fields of energy, environment and national security.